What Josh Allen texted Joey Bosa during Bills recruitment after stunning Chargers breakup

Joey Bosa yearns for a championship to be part of his next era in Buffalo.

When discussing his decision to join the Bills on a one-year, $12.6 million deal earlier this month following his release from the Chargers after nine years, the five-time Pro Bowl defensive end detailed the illustrious picture reigning league MVP Josh Allen painted once Bosa, 29, signed on the dotted line.

“Josh texted me that if we do what we set out to do, we can really be immortalized in this town,” Bosa recently said, according to NFL.com. “That’s what it’s all about is winning, winning a championship. And that’s why I think people are here.”

Joey Bosa joined the Bills in March 2025. USA TODAY Sports via Reuters Con

The Bills, led by QB Josh Allen, won their fifth straight AFC East title during the 2024 season. USA TODAY Sports via Reuters Con

The Bills finished the regular season at 13-4, winning their fifth straight AFC East crown before falling short of the Super Bowl once again with a 32-29 loss to the Chiefs in January’s AFC Championship game.

The franchise has never won a Super Bowl despite reaching the championship contest four consecutive times from 1991-94.

Bosa and the Chargers’ run at the Lombardi Trophy ended in January when they fell to the Texans in a 32-12 wild-card loss.

Joey Bosa (97) sacked Texans QB C.J. Stroud during the Chargers’ wild-card loss to Houston on Jan. 11, 2025. USA TODAY Sports via Reuters Con

The Chargers cut ties with Bosa, their 2016 first-round pick, less than two months later.

Although “it’s been a tough last few years” for Bosa where injuries are concerned, the former Defensive Rookie of the Year believes he can compete at a “high level” when firing on all cylinders.

Joey Bosa had played for the Chargers since 2016, when the team drafted him third overall. AP

“I know winning is obviously a huge part of it, but I think I have a lot to prove to people, but mostly just myself. That I can prove to myself that I know the kind of player that I am, and I know I’ve had some good moments over the last few years, but it’s about putting it all together throughout the whole season and being available for my team,” said Bosa, who broke a hand during training camp last summer and also grappled with a glute strain.

Bosa appeared in 14 games for the Chargers last season, recording 16 solo tackles and five sacks.

“It’s been nine years [with the Chargers], which I’m really thankful for my career and how it’s played out. But I’m ready to experience something different,” Bosa said. “I’m getting old and I’m ready to win. And I think this team is primed to do that, and I’m just excited to join a winning culture.”

Josh Allen and the Bills reached the AFC Championship in January before losing to the Chiefs. Getty Images

Bosa, who will turn 30 years old in July, adds star power to the defense after the Bills released former Super Bowl MVP Von Miller this month in a cost-saving move.

The Bills will be guided by Allen, 28, for the foreseeable future after they extended the star quarterback on a new six-year contract worth $330 million earlier this month, which includes a historic $250 million in guaranteed money.

Related Posts


This will close in 0 seconds