Tootoo, Upshall converse out on allegations of sexual assault involving 2003 juniors

Jordin Tootoo is the third member of Canada’s 2003 males’s world junior hockey staff to disclaim any involvement in an alleged group sexual assault, whereas Scottie Upshall says he helps an investigation.

Halifax Regional Police have opened an investigation into the incident that allegedly occurred as that metropolis hosted the worldwide event 19 years in the past. Tootoo, who was a member of the silver-medal successful staff, issued an announcement on Saturday calling for a full investigation into the “disturbing allegations.”

You are reading: Tootoo, Upshall converse out on allegations of sexual assault involving 2003 juniors

“I don’t recall figuring out or listening to concerning the incident in query throughout or after the event,” Tootoo wrote on Twitter. “I used to be shocked after I heard about it within the media and can co-operate totally with any investigation.”

Readmore : Toronto Raptors signal Michigan State Spartans ahead Gabe Brown

Carlo Colaiacovo and P-A Parenteau, who had been additionally on the 2003 nationwide junior staff, issued statements on Friday saying they weren’t concerned within the alleged sexual assault and they’d additionally take part in any investigations.

Upshall, one other teammate who now hosts a podcast known as “Missin Curfew,” didn’t explicitly deny involvement in a tweet Saturday however stated he favours a full investigation.

“I totally help thorough investigations by the police and the NHL into the claims made within the media yesterday about Canada’s 2003 World Juniors staff,” stated Upshall.

Hockey Canada stated it realized concerning the alleged sexual assault on Thursday and instantly knowledgeable Sport Canada and Halifax police of the allegations.

Readmore : Ex-NFL star Demaryius Thomas had CTE, says household

Tootoo acknowledged on Saturday that his memoir touched on the staff’s sexual exploits, but in addition stated he was fighting alcohol dependancy on the time. It was in that context that he stated he couldn’t recall figuring out or listening to concerning the alleged sexual assault.

Hockey Canada has already had funding from the federal authorities and company sponsors paused following allegations of a sexual assault involving eight members of the 2018 males’s junior hockey staff.

These allegations got here to gentle after it was reported by media that Hockey Canada paid out an undisclosed settlement to the complainant after she sued the group, the Canadian Hockey League, and the eight unnamed gamers. The girl was looking for $3.55 million.

On Wednesday, London, Ont., police chief Steve Williams ordered a assessment of that pressure’s preliminary sexual assault investigation in June 2018. He stated on Friday that, following the assessment, London police would reopen their probe.

The Canadian Press reported on Monday that Hockey Canada has maintained a fund that pulls on minor hockey membership charges to pay for uninsured liabilities, together with sexual abuse claims. Hockey Canada confirmed on Tuesday that the fund exists however it could not be used to pay out claims over sexual assault allegations.

Related Articles

Related Posts


This will close in 0 seconds